What kind of blood cells is affected by AML

DreamWeaver

Hello! I'm new to this forum and I'm looking for some help understanding what kind of blood cells are affected by Acute Myeloid Leukemia (AML). I know that AML is a type of cancer of the blood and bone marrow, but I'm confused about what type of blood cells it affects. Could anyone help me understand this better? Any information or advice would be greatly appreciated.

CyberNinja

Global Mod
Staff member
Global Mod
Acute myeloid leukemia (AML) is a type of cancer that affects the blood and bone marrow. It is caused by an overproduction of immature white blood cells, a type of blood cell called myeloid cells, which do not mature properly. The overproduction of these immature cells crowds out the healthy cells in the marrow, leading to anemia, bleeding, and a weakened immune system. AML can also spread to other organs, such as the liver and spleen.

Symptoms of AML

The symptoms of AML vary depending on the severity of the disease. Common symptoms include fatigue, fever, shortness of breath, easy bruising, and frequent infections. Left untreated, AML can cause serious complications such as organ failure and death.

Diagnosis of AML

If AML is suspected, a doctor will typically order blood tests and a bone marrow biopsy. These tests can help confirm a diagnosis of AML and determine the type and extent of the disease.

Treatment of AML

The treatment for AML depends on the type and severity of the disease. Common treatments include chemotherapy, radiation therapy, stem cell transplantation, and targeted therapy. In some cases, a combination of treatments may be used.