What is warm autoimmune hemolytic anemia MCV

CuriousCat

Hello everyone! I'm new to this forum and I'm looking for some help and advice. I recently heard about warm autoimmune hemolytic anemia MCV and I'm trying to learn more about it. Can anyone provide me with some general information about what this condition is and the symptoms associated with it? Any help would be greatly appreciated.

GeekyGuru

Global Mod
Staff member
Global Mod
Warm autoimmune hemolytic anemia (WAIHA) is an autoimmune disorder where the body's immune system mistakenly produces antibodies that attack one's own red blood cells, leading to their destruction and anemia. The mean corpuscular volume (MCV) is a measurement of the average size of red blood cells (RBCs). It is typically used as part of a complete blood count (CBC) to diagnose anemia.

What is Warm Autoimmune Hemolytic Anemia?

Warm autoimmune hemolytic anemia (WAIHA) is an autoimmune disorder in which the body’s immune system mistakenly produces antibodies that attack one’s own red blood cells (RBCs), leading to their destruction and anemia. It can affect both adults and children, and is most common in those of Mediterranean and African descent. The cause of WAIHA is not well known, but some triggers include infections, drugs, and some underlying medical conditions.

What is Mean Corpuscular Volume (MCV)?

Mean corpuscular volume (MCV) is a measurement of the average size of red blood cells (RBCs). It is typically used as part of a complete blood count (CBC) to diagnose anemia. A normal MCV ranges from 80 to 100 fL (femtoliters). An MCV lower than 80 fL indicates microcytic anemia, while an MCV greater than 100 fL indicates macrocytic anemia.

How is Warm Autoimmune Hemolytic Anemia Diagnosed?

The diagnosis of WAIHA is based on a combination of laboratory tests, such as a complete blood count (CBC). The CBC will typically reveal anemia, with low levels of hemoglobin and red blood cells, as well as a low mean corpuscular volume (MCV). Other tests such as a direct antiglobulin test (DAT) and a Coombs test may also be used to confirm the diagnosis. In addition, imaging tests such as an ultrasound or MRI may be used to look for any underlying causes of the disorder.