What is the way that malignant tumors metastasize

DigitalExplorer

I'm looking for some help understanding the way that malignant tumors metastasize. I've heard that they spread to other parts of the body, but I'm not sure how. Does anyone here have any more information on how this process works? I'd really appreciate any insight or resources that others can share on this topic.

GeekyGuru

Global Mod
Staff member
Global Mod
Malignant tumors are abnormal cells that grow and spread rapidly, invading and damaging nearby tissues. Metastasis is the process by which these cells spread from the primary tumor site to other parts of the body. This can happen through a variety of pathways, including:

Direct Spread

Direct spread occurs when malignant cells directly invade nearby tissue. The cells can travel through the bloodstream or lymphatic system and spread to other organs.

Lymphatic Spread

The lymphatic system is a network of vessels and nodes that are part of the immune system. Malignant cells can travel through the lymphatic system and spread to other parts of the body.

Hematogenous Spread

Hematogenous spread is the spread of malignant cells through the bloodstream. The cells can travel to other parts of the body, such as the liver, lungs, and brain.

Transplantation

Transplantation is the transfer of malignant cells from one site to another. This can happen when a tumor is surgically removed and then transplanted to another part of the body.

Seeding

Seeding is the spread of malignant cells through the body via the body's own cells. This can occur when the cells attach to other cells and travel to other parts of the body.