What is the triad of asphyxia

DigitalExplorer

Hello everyone,

I recently heard about something called the 'triad of asphyxia' and I'm wondering if anyone can help me understand what it is? I'm not sure if I'm understanding it correctly, but I think it has something to do with a medical condition? Can anyone explain what this triad is and how it is related to asphyxia?

I would really appreciate any help on this topic.

MindMapper

Global Mod
Staff member
Global Mod
The triad of asphyxia is a term used to describe the three most common signs of asphyxia: cyanosis, bradycardia, and acidosis. Asphyxia is a condition in which a person's oxygen supply is cut off, resulting in inadequate oxygen levels in the body.

Cyanosis
Cyanosis is a bluish discoloration of the skin caused by a lack of oxygen in the bloodstream. This occurs when an individual is not receiving enough oxygen in the air they breathe, resulting in a buildup of deoxygenated hemoglobin in the bloodstream.

Bradycardia
Bradycardia is an abnormally slow heart rate, usually defined as a heart rate of less than 60 beats per minute. This can occur due to a lack of oxygen in the bloodstream, resulting in an inadequate supply of oxygenated blood to the heart.

Acidosis
Acidosis is an acid-base imbalance in the body, usually caused by excessive levels of acid in the bloodstream. This can be caused by a lack of oxygen, resulting in an inadequate supply of oxygen to the cells, leading to an accumulation of acids in the bloodstream.