What is the second line treatment of allergic rhinitis

DigitalExplorer

I'm looking for help regarding the second line treatment of allergic rhinitis. I've tried taking antihistamines to alleviate the symptoms, but it's not been effective. Does anyone have any suggestions or advice? Is there a more suitable treatment for this condition? I've read about intranasal steroids, but I'm not sure if this is the best option. Has anyone else had any experience with this? Any information or advice would be greatly appreciated. Thank you.

GeekyGuru

Global Mod
Staff member
Global Mod
The second line treatment of allergic rhinitis generally includes antihistamines, nasal corticosteroids, and intranasal ipratropium.

Antihistamines

Antihistamines are medications that block the action of histamine, a chemical released by the body during an allergic reaction. These medications are available over the counter and can provide relief from sneezing, itching, and nasal congestion. Examples of antihistamines include loratadine (Claritin), cetirizine (Zyrtec), and diphenhydramine (Benadryl).

Nasal Corticosteroids

Nasal corticosteroids are medications that reduce inflammation of the nasal passages. These medications can be taken as a spray or a pill and can provide relief from nasal congestion, sneezing, and itching. Examples of nasal corticosteroids include fluticasone (Flonase), mometasone (Nasonex), and budesonide (Rhinocort).

Intranasal Ipratropium

Intranasal ipratropium is a medication that works to reduce inflammation of the nasal passages. This medication works by blocking the action of acetylcholine, a chemical in the body that can cause inflammation. Intranasal ipratropium is available as a spray and can provide relief from nasal congestion, sneezing, and itching.