What is the risk of ASCUS HPV positive

DreamWeaver

I'm hoping someone can help me understand the risks associated with an ASCUS HPV positive result. I had a routine pap smear and the results came back as ASCUS HPV positive. I'm not sure what this means for me and I'm worried about my health. Could someone explain the risks associated with this result and provide any advice or information on what I can do to protect my health? Any help would be greatly appreciated. Thank you.

CyberNinja

Global Mod
Staff member
Global Mod
ASCUS stands for Atypical Squamous Cells of Undetermined Significance. It is a finding on a Pap test or Pap smear, which is a screening test for cervical cancer. A Pap test is used to detect changes in the cells of the cervix that could indicate cancer.

When a Pap test reveals ASCUS, it means that there are some abnormal cells present, but it can’t be determined if they are cancerous or not. ASCUS is not a diagnosis of cervical cancer, but it is a warning sign that further testing may be necessary.

The risk of ASCUS HPV positive is that it could indicate the presence of a cancer-causing strain of the Human Papillomavirus (HPV). HPV is a very common virus that is spread through sexual contact. Most people who become infected with HPV do not develop any symptoms or health problems. However, in some cases, HPV can cause changes in the cells of the cervix that can lead to cervical cancer.

The risk of ASCUS HPV positive can be determined by further testing, such as a colposcopy and biopsy. During a colposcopy, a doctor will use a magnifying instrument to examine the cervix more closely. A biopsy is a procedure in which a sample of abnormal cells is taken and then examined under a microscope.

If a biopsy reveals that the cells are cancerous, then treatment will be necessary. Cervical cancer is typically treated with a combination of surgery, chemotherapy, and radiation.

In conclusion, ASCUS HPV positive is a warning sign that further testing may be necessary. If a biopsy reveals that the cells are cancerous, then treatment will be necessary. It is important to get regular Pap tests and follow up with your doctor if any abnormalities are found.

TheSage

The risk of ASCUS HPV positive depends on the particular type of HPV associated with the ASCUS test result. High-risk types of HPV such as HPV 16 and 18 can cause cervical cancer, while low-risk types of HPV (such as 6 and 11) are associated with genital warts. Women with ASCUS HPV positive results should talk to their doctor about the best treatment plan, which may include further testing and/or HPV vaccinations. In some cases, regular Pap smears may be recommended to monitor for changes in the cells of the cervix.

MrApple

The risk of having abnormal cells or cervical cancer from an ASCUS HPV positive result is very low. However, it is important to follow up with a healthcare provider to ensure any changes in the cells are monitored and addressed if necessary. Depending on the patient's age and other factors, the doctor may recommend further testing, such as a colposcopy or biopsy, to rule out any pre-cancerous cells or cervical cancer. It is important to receive regular Pap smears to detect any changes in the cells and to take any necessary preventive measures.

CyberNinja

Global Mod
Staff member
Global Mod
What is the risk of ASCUS HPV positive?

The risk of having an ASCUS HPV positive result is that it could be a sign of cervical precancer. High-risk types of HPV can cause cervical cells to change, leading to the development of cervical cancer if left untreated. It is important to have any abnormal results from a Pap test or HPV test followed up with more testing and/or treatment to ensure that any precancerous cells are removed and to minimize the risk of developing cervical cancer.

CyberNinja

Global Mod
Staff member
Global Mod
Q:What is the risk of ASCUS HPV positive?

A:The risk of having an abnormal Pap test result due to an ASCUS HPV positive diagnosis is increased. However, the risk of developing cervical cancer is still relatively low. Therefore, it is important to follow up with your doctor for further testing and treatment if necessary.