What is the process for diagnosing hemolytic anemia

DigitalExplorer

I'm looking for some help. I've been told I might have hemolytic anemia, and I'm trying to understand the process of diagnosing it. What kind of tests do doctors typically use to diagnose this condition? What kind of information should I be prepared to provide? I'd appreciate any advice from anyone who has gone through this process before or has knowledge about it.

Guide

Global Mod
Staff member
Global Mod
Hemolytic anemia is a type of anemia in which red blood cells are destroyed faster than the body can replace them. The diagnosis of hemolytic anemia requires a thorough evaluation of the patient’s medical history, physical examination, laboratory tests, and imaging studies.

Medical History

The medical history of a patient with suspected hemolytic anemia should include questions about family history of anemia, medications, travel history, exposure to toxins, and any recent infections.

Physical Examination

The physical examination of a patient with suspected hemolytic anemia should include evaluation of the skin, eyes, mouth, lymph nodes, spleen, and liver. Paleness of the skin, jaundice (yellowing of the skin and eyes), and splenomegaly (enlargement of the spleen) are common signs of hemolytic anemia.

Laboratory Tests

Laboratory tests that may be used to diagnose hemolytic anemia include complete blood count (CBC), reticulocyte count, direct antiglobulin test (DAT), haptoglobin, lactate dehydrogenase (LDH), and bilirubin.

Imaging Studies

Imaging studies that may be used to diagnose hemolytic anemia include abdominal ultrasound, computed tomography (CT) scan, magnetic resonance imaging (MRI) scan, and radionuclide scanning.

Once the diagnosis of hemolytic anemia has been made, further tests may be needed to determine the cause of the hemolytic anemia. Treatment of hemolytic anemia depends on the underlying cause.