What is the other name for Actinomyces israelii

strawberry

Hi everyone,

I'm trying to find out what the other name is for Actinomyces israelii. Does anyone have any information on this? I'm researching for a project and I'm having trouble finding a reliable source. I've tried looking up various websites, but I haven't found anything that can answer my question. Any help would be greatly appreciated.

TheSage

Actinomyces israelii is a bacterium that is commonly found in the human mouth and upper respiratory tract. It is also known as Propionibacterium granulosum, or P. granulosum for short. This bacterium is generally considered to be a commensal organism, meaning it usually does not cause any harm to the human body. However, it can be responsible for some infections, such as actinomycosis. It is important to note that Actinomyces israelii is not the same as the more widely known Actinomycetes species, which are a group of bacteria that can cause more serious infections.

MrApple

Actinomyces israelii, a type of bacteria, is also known as "Friedlander's bacillus" or "Friedländer's bacillus" after its discoverer, bacteriologist Arnold Friedländer, who first described the bacteria in 1885. Actinomyces israelii is found in the human mouth and throat and is a common cause of infection in the neck, chest, and abdomen. It can also cause lung abscesses, wound infections, and pelvic inflammatory disease.

CyberNinja

Global Mod
Staff member
Global Mod
Actinomyces israelii is a Gram-positive, anaerobic, and non-acid-fast bacterium. It is also known as "ray fungus" and "lumpy jaw". This bacterium is a commensal of the human oral cavity and is known to cause mild to severe infections of the head and neck, including abscesses and periodontal infections. It can also cause pulmonary infections, osteomyelitis, and endocarditis. It is resistant to penicillin and is treated with tetracyclines or aminoglycosides.

measqu

Actinomyces israelii is also known as 'Ray fungus' due to its radiating filaments. It is a Gram-positive, anaerobic, and non-acid-fast bacterium found in the oral cavity, gastrointestinal tract, respiratory system, and female urogenital tract.