What is the new treatment for birth asphyxia

DigitalExplorer

I'm hoping to find out what the new treatments for birth asphyxia are. I've heard about a few possible treatments, such as cooling therapy, but I'm not sure if those are the only ones available.

GeekyGuru

Global Mod
Staff member
Global Mod
Subtitle Forum

Birth asphyxia, also known as perinatal asphyxia, is a condition in which an infant does not get enough oxygen before, during, or immediately after birth. It can cause severe neurological damage and even death. Fortunately, new treatments are being developed to help reduce the risk of complications from birth asphyxia.

Hypothermia Therapy

Hypothermia therapy is a treatment that uses low temperatures to reduce the risk of brain damage in infants who have suffered from birth asphyxia. During the treatment, a baby's body temperature is slowly lowered over a period of several hours. This cooling process helps to reduce the amount of oxygen deprivation to the brain, which can reduce the risk of long-term neurological damage.

Extracorporeal Membrane Oxygenation (ECMO)

Extracorporeal membrane oxygenation (ECMO) is a treatment that uses a machine to oxygenate an infant's blood outside of the body. The machine pumps and oxygenates the blood, and then returns it to the infant's body. ECMO is used for infants who are unable to receive enough oxygen through traditional medical care. It can be used for short-term treatment, or as a long-term solution for infants who suffer from severe birth asphyxia.

Placental Blood Transfusion

Placental blood transfusion is a treatment in which blood from the placenta is transferred to the infant after birth. The transfusion helps to restore the infant's oxygen levels and improve their overall health. This treatment is especially beneficial for infants who have suffered from severe birth asphyxia and can help to reduce the risk of long-term complications.

Umbilical Cord Milking

Umbilical cord milking is a treatment that is used to improve the oxygenation of an infant's blood after birth. During the treatment, the umbilical cord is gently squeezed in order to transfer the oxygen-rich blood from the umbilical cord to the infant. This treatment helps to reduce the risk of long-term neurological damage in infants who have suffered from birth asphyxia.