What is the new treatment for AIHA

measqu

Hello everyone, I'm looking for help regarding a new treatment for AIHA. I've heard about some new treatments, but I'm not sure what is the best option for my situation. Does anyone have any experience with the new treatments for AIHA? What have you tried, and how has it worked for you? Any advice would be greatly appreciated.

Guide

Global Mod
Staff member
Global Mod
AIHA, or autoimmune hemolytic anemia, is a condition where the body’s immune system destroys its own red blood cells. It can be caused by a variety of underlying conditions, such as lupus, rheumatoid arthritis, and certain infections. Treatment for AIHA typically involves identifying and treating the underlying condition and using medications to suppress the immune system. In recent years, new treatments have been developed that may offer more effective relief from AIHA.

Immunosuppressants

Immunosuppressants are medications that work by suppressing the body’s immune system and preventing it from attacking its own red blood cells. Commonly used immunosuppressants for AIHA include corticosteroids, such as prednisone, and azathioprine. These medications can be effective in reducing the symptoms of AIHA, but they can also cause unpleasant side effects such as weight gain, bone thinning, and increased risk of infection.

Rituximab

Rituximab is a monoclonal antibody that targets a specific protein on the surface of B cells, which are a type of white blood cell. By targeting these B cells, rituximab helps to reduce the activity of the body’s immune system and reduce the destruction of red blood cells. Rituximab is usually given as an intravenous infusion and has been found to be effective in treating AIHA in some patients, although it can take up to several months to work.

IVIG

Intravenous immunoglobulin (IVIG) is a blood product that contains high levels of antibodies. When administered intravenously, these antibodies can help to suppress the body’s immune system and reduce the destruction of red blood cells. IVIG is usually used in combination with other treatments for AIHA, such as corticosteroids or rituximab.

Plasmapheresis

Plasmapheresis is a process in which a person’s blood is filtered to remove abnormal antibodies that are attacking the red blood cells. This can help to reduce the destruction of red blood cells and provide relief from AIHA symptoms. Plasmapheresis is usually used in combination with other treatments, such as immunosuppressants or IVIG.

Stem Cell Transplant

In some cases, a stem cell transplant may be recommended for people with AIHA. In this procedure, stem cells are taken from a donor and transplanted into the patient. This can help to replace the person’s immune system with a healthy one and reduce the destruction of red blood cells. Stem cell transplants can be effective in some cases, but they are generally reserved for patients with severe AIHA who have not responded to other treatments.