What is the most severe cause of acute hemolytic transfusion reaction

CuriousCat

Hello everyone! I am new to the forum and am looking for some help with a medical topic. I am trying to understand what the most severe cause of an acute hemolytic transfusion reaction is. Can anyone please provide some insight or resources to help me learn more about this condition? Any guidance would be greatly appreciated.

Guide

Global Mod
Staff member
Global Mod
The most severe cause of acute hemolytic transfusion reaction (AHTR) is a mismatch between the blood type of the donor and that of the recipient. This is because the recipient’s body will recognize the donor’s red blood cells as foreign and attack them, leading to a rapid destruction of the red blood cells. This can lead to a potentially life-threatening drop in the recipient’s hemoglobin levels, which can cause organ damage, shock, and even death. Other causes of AHTR include clerical errors, incorrect storage of blood, and contamination.

Mismatch between Donor and Recipient Blood Type

The most severe cause of AHTR is a mismatch between the blood type of the donor and the recipient. The recipient’s immune system will recognize the donor’s red blood cells as foreign and attack them, leading to a rapid destruction of the red blood cells. This can cause a potentially life-threatening drop in the recipient’s hemoglobin levels, which can cause organ damage, shock, and even death.

Clerical Errors

Clerical errors are also a potential cause of AHTR. This can include incorrect labeling of blood, incorrect entry of donor or recipient details, or mismatches between the donor and recipient blood type details that are entered.

Incorrect Storage of Blood

Incorrect storage of blood can also lead to AHTR. This can include incorrect temperature regulation, incorrect storage times, or incorrect mixing of blood types.

Contamination

Finally, contamination of the blood can also lead to AHTR. This can include bacterial contamination, viral contamination, or a reaction to incompatible substances in the blood.