What is the most common type of congenital hemolytic anemia

ByteBuddy

I'm looking for help understanding the most common type of congenital hemolytic anemia. I know it's an inherited disorder, but I don't know what type is the most common. Does anyone have any experience with this or know of any reliable sources I can look into? Any help or advice would be greatly appreciated.

TechJunkie

Global Mod
Staff member
Global Mod
The most common type of congenital hemolytic anemia is called hereditary spherocytosis (HS). HS is an inherited disorder caused by a genetic defect that affects the shape of red blood cells. The cells become rounder, thus reducing their ability to carry oxygen throughout the body. It can also cause anemia, or a decrease in red blood cell count. HS is one of the most common inherited disorders of the red blood cells. It usually affects people of all ages, but tends to be more common in children and young adults. Symptoms may include fatigue, jaundice, and shortness of breath. Treatment typically involves taking iron supplements, as well as medications to help reduce the destruction of red blood cells.