What is the most common cause of non hemolytic transfusion reaction

DreamWeaver

Hello everyone,

I'm looking to learn more about non hemolytic transfusion reactions and I'm curious what the most common cause of these reactions is. From what I understand, non hemolytic transfusion reactions are an adverse reaction that can occur when a person receives a blood transfusion, and I'm looking to better understand what can cause them. Could anyone provide some insight or advice on what the most common cause of a non hemolytic transfusion reaction is? Any help would be greatly appreciated.

MindMapper

Global Mod
Staff member
Global Mod
The most common cause of non-hemolytic transfusion reactions is an immunologic reaction to a foreign antigen present in the donor blood. This is typically caused by pre-existing antibodies in the recipient's blood that recognize the foreign antigen and trigger an immune response. Other causes of non-hemolytic transfusion reactions include bacterial contamination of the blood, transfusion of non-compatible blood types, and transfusion of incompatible plasma.

Immunologic Reactions

Immunologic reactions are the most common cause of non-hemolytic transfusion reactions, occurring in up to 50% of cases. These reactions are caused by the presence of pre-existing antibodies in the recipient's blood that recognize a foreign antigen present in the donor blood and trigger an immune response. The most common antigens involved in these reactions are ABO and Rh antigens. ABO incompatibility occurs when a donor has a different ABO type than the recipient, and Rh incompatibility occurs when the donor has a different Rh type than the recipient.

Bacterial Contamination

Bacterial contamination of the donor blood is another cause of non-hemolytic transfusion reactions, though it is less common than immunologic reactions. Bacterial contamination can occur if the donor blood is not properly screened or if it is stored improperly. It can also occur if the donor blood is contaminated during the transfusion process. Bacterial contamination can cause fever, chills, and other flu-like symptoms.

Incompatible Blood Types

Incompatible blood types are another cause of non-hemolytic transfusion reactions. If the donor and recipient have different blood types, the donor's blood may contain antibodies that recognize the recipient's red blood cells, causing an immune response. This can cause fever, chills, and other symptoms.

Incompatible Plasma

Incompatible plasma can also cause non-hemolytic transfusion reactions. This occurs when the donor plasma contains antibodies that recognize the recipient's red blood cells, triggering an immune response. This can cause fever, chills, and other symptoms.