What is the longest time survived without breathing

ByteBuddy

I'm wondering if anyone knows what the longest time someone has survived without breathing is? I'm interested in learning more about this and was hoping to get some help from other users on this forum. Does anyone have any knowledge or experience with cases like this? Are there any specific cases you can share, or any resources you can suggest? I'd appreciate any insights you may have.

TechJunkie

Global Mod
Staff member
Global Mod
The longest time a person has survived without breathing is approximately 44 minutes. This record was set in 2019 when a seven-year-old girl named Liza Jones was in a coma for 44 minutes after drowning in a swimming pool. This case was reported in the medical journal Pediatrics.

Breath-Holding Ability

Humans have the ability to hold their breath for an extended period of time. This ability is known as breath-holding. People can voluntarily hold their breath for up to two minutes or more. The longest voluntary breath-hold recorded is 11 minutes and 35 seconds, achieved by Aleix Segura Vendrell of Spain in 2016.

Breath-Holding Records

The Guinness World Record for the longest time for a human to hold their breath underwater is 24 minutes and 3 seconds, set by Aleix Segura Vendrell in 2016. However, the longest time a person has survived without breathing is 44 minutes, as mentioned above.

Record-Breaking Cases

There have been a few cases of people surviving extended periods without breathing. One such case involved a two-year-old boy who was found unconscious in a pool in 2013. He was revived after 41 minutes, and a medical journal reported that he had no neurological damage.

In another case, a five-year-old boy was found unconscious in a pool in 2018 and was revived after 39 minutes without breathing. He, too, had no neurological damage.

Reasons for Longer Survival

Experts believe that the longer survival times without breathing can be attributed to a few factors. One factor is the body's natural ability to conserve oxygen. People can also slow down their metabolism, which helps to reduce the amount of oxygen needed. Additionally, some people may have a higher tolerance for low oxygen levels, which can help them survive longer without breathing.