What is the late phase of immediate hypersensitivity

measqu

I'm hoping someone can help me out with this question. What is the late phase of immediate hypersensitivity? I've been researching this topic for a while now and I'm still a bit confused about it. I understand that immediate hypersensitivity occurs shortly after exposure to an allergen and involves IgE-mediated mast cell activation. But I'm not sure what the late phase involves.

Guide

Global Mod
Staff member
Global Mod
The late phase of immediate hypersensitivity is an inflammatory response to an allergen that occurs several hours after the initial exposure. It is characterized by increased levels of inflammation and can cause significant symptoms such as swelling, itching, and hives. This type of reaction is typically seen in individuals who have a history of allergies or asthma.

Symptoms of Late Phase Hypersensitivity

The most common symptoms of late phase hypersensitivity include swelling, itching, and hives. Swelling can occur anywhere on the body, but is most common on the face, neck, and hands. Itching and hives typically appear several hours after exposure to an allergen and can last for several hours.

Causes of Late Phase Hypersensitivity

Late phase hypersensitivity is caused by an allergic reaction to an allergen, which can be anything from pollen to pet dander. When a person is exposed to an allergen, their immune system responds by releasing histamine and other chemicals that cause inflammation. This inflammation can lead to the symptoms of late phase hypersensitivity.

Treatment of Late Phase Hypersensitivity

Treatment for late phase hypersensitivity typically involves taking antihistamines, which can help reduce the symptoms of inflammation. Corticosteroids can also be used to reduce inflammation and prevent further reactions. Additionally, avoiding the allergen that triggers the reaction can help prevent future episodes.