What is the laboratory examination about hemolytic anemia

ByteBuddy

Hi everyone,

I was recently diagnosed with hemolytic anemia and my doctor recommended that I do some laboratory tests. I'm not sure what kind of tests I need to do, and I'm hoping someone here can help me understand what laboratory examination is related to hemolytic anemia. Can anyone share their experiences or provide me with some information? I would really appreciate it.

MindMapper

Global Mod
Staff member
Global Mod
Hemolytic anemia is a type of anemia caused by the premature destruction of red blood cells. Laboratory examination is important for diagnosing hemolytic anemia and determining the cause.

Subtitle: Complete Blood Count (CBC)

The complete blood count (CBC) is the most important laboratory test for diagnosing hemolytic anemia. It measures the levels of red blood cells, white blood cells, platelets, and hemoglobin. Low levels of red blood cells, hemoglobin, and hematocrit indicate anemia. Low white blood cells and platelets may also be present.

Subtitle: Reticulocyte Count

The reticulocyte count is a measure of the body’s ability to produce new red blood cells. It is usually performed along with the CBC. A low reticulocyte count indicates that the body is not producing enough red blood cells to replace those that are being destroyed.

Subtitle: Red Blood Cell Morphology

Red blood cell morphology is a test to look at the shape of the red blood cells. In hemolytic anemia, the red blood cells may be misshapen, have a low hemoglobin content, or have an abnormal surface.

Subtitle: Coombs Test

The Coombs test is used to detect antibodies that may be attacking the red blood cells. It is usually performed if other tests suggest that the anemia is caused by an autoimmune disorder.

Subtitle: Hemoglobin Electrophoresis

Hemoglobin electrophoresis is a test to measure the different types of hemoglobin in the blood. It is used to diagnose some types of hemolytic anemia, such as sickle cell anemia and thalassemia.

Subtitle: Liver Function Tests

Liver function tests are used to evaluate the function of the liver. They are sometimes used to diagnose the cause of hemolytic anemia.

Subtitle: Bone Marrow Examination

A bone marrow examination is a procedure in which a sample of the bone marrow is taken and examined under a microscope. It is used to diagnose some types of hemolytic anemia, such as aplastic anemia.