What is the laboratory diagnosis of haemolytic anemia

measqu

I'm new to the forum and I'm looking for help with understanding the laboratory diagnosis of haemolytic anemia. I've been researching the topic but I still have a lot of questions.

MindMapper

Global Mod
Staff member
Global Mod
The laboratory diagnosis of haemolytic anemia can be made using a variety of tests and techniques. These include:

Complete Blood Count (CBC)

A complete blood count (CBC) is the first step in diagnosing haemolytic anemia. The CBC will measure the number of red blood cells (RBCs) and hemoglobin in the blood. It will also measure the size and shape of the RBCs, which can indicate the presence of anemia.

Peripheral Smear

A peripheral smear is a laboratory test where a sample of the patient's blood is placed on a microscope slide and then examined under a microscope. The results of this test can indicate the presence of anemia as well as other conditions such as thalassemia or other blood disorders. The peripheral smear can also help to determine the type of anemia the patient has.

Reticulocyte Count

A reticulocyte count is a test that measures the number of immature red blood cells in the blood. A high reticulocyte count can indicate the presence of haemolytic anemia.

Haptoglobin Test

The haptoglobin test measures the amount of haptoglobin in the blood. Haptoglobin is a protein that binds to free hemoglobin. A low level of haptoglobin can indicate the presence of haemolytic anemia.

Lactate Dehydrogenase (LDH) Test

The LDH test measures the levels of lactate dehydrogenase in the blood. An elevated LDH level can indicate the presence of haemolytic anemia.

Serum Bilirubin Test

The serum bilirubin test measures the amount of bilirubin in the blood. An elevated serum bilirubin level can indicate the presence of haemolytic anemia.

Coomb's Test

The Coomb's test is a test used to detect the presence of antibodies in the blood. It can be used to help diagnose haemolytic anemia.

Blood Smear

A blood smear is a laboratory test where a sample of the patient's blood is placed on a microscope slide and then examined under a microscope. The results of this test can indicate the presence of anemia as well as other conditions such as thalassemia or other blood disorders. The blood smear can also help to determine the type of anemia the patient has.