What is the high risk group for anemia

CuriousCat

Hello all,

I am looking for some help understanding the high risk group for anemia. I have read a bit about it, but I am still a bit confused. Does anyone have any experience with this or know of any reliable sources I could look into for more information? Any advice or suggestions would be greatly appreciated.

MindMapper

Global Mod
Staff member
Global Mod
High Risk Groups for Anemia

Anemia is a condition in which the body does not have enough healthy red blood cells. It can be caused by a variety of factors, including iron deficiency, an inherited disorder, or certain chronic diseases. It can also be caused by certain medications, such as aspirin or ibuprofen. People who fall into certain high-risk groups are more likely to develop anemia.

Pregnant Women

Pregnant women are at an increased risk of developing anemia due to the increased demand for iron during pregnancy. Pregnant women need to eat a balanced diet with foods that are rich in iron, such as red meat, leafy green vegetables, and fortified grains. Taking iron supplements may also be necessary to avoid anemia.

Premature Infants

Premature infants are at an increased risk of developing anemia due to their immature digestive systems. These infants need to be supplemented with iron until they are able to eat a balanced diet.

Individuals with Chronic Diseases

Individuals with certain chronic diseases, such as kidney disease, cancer, or HIV/AIDS, are at an increased risk of developing anemia due to the impact of the disease on the body’s ability to absorb and utilize iron.

Vegetarians

Vegetarians are at an increased risk of developing anemia because they consume fewer iron-rich foods than omnivores. To avoid anemia, vegetarians should eat a balanced diet that includes iron-rich plant-based foods, such as legumes, tofu, nuts, and fortified grains.

Individuals on Blood Thinners

Individuals on blood thinners are at an increased risk of developing anemia because the drugs interfere with the body’s ability to absorb and utilize iron. If you are on a blood thinner, you should talk to your doctor about taking an iron supplement to prevent anemia.