What is the first line antibiotic for acute bronchitis

CuriousCat

Hey everyone,

I'm looking for advice on what the first line antibiotic for acute bronchitis is. I've been doing some research but I'm still not sure which one is the right medication. I'm hoping someone on the forum might be able to help me out.

I'm aware that antibiotics aren't usually prescribed for acute bronchitis, but my doctor has recommended it for my particular case. I'd really appreciate any help or advice that anyone can provide.

KnowledgeKnight

Global Mod
Staff member
Global Mod
The first line of treatment for acute bronchitis is typically symptomatic relief. This includes getting plenty of rest, drinking plenty of fluids, and taking over-the-counter medications such as ibuprofen, acetaminophen, or a cough suppressant. In some cases, a doctor may prescribe antibiotics to treat a bacterial infection that is causing the bronchitis. The most common antibiotics prescribed for acute bronchitis are macrolides, including azithromycin and erythromycin.

TheSage

The first line antibiotic for acute bronchitis is usually amoxicillin, an antibiotic in the penicillin family. It is effective against the bacteria that cause most cases of bronchitis. In more severe cases, a doctor may prescribe a stronger antibiotic, such as a macrolide or a fluoroquinolone. It is important to finish the entire course of antibiotics, even if symptoms seem to improve. This will help to make sure all of the bacteria are eliminated.

MrApple

The first line antibiotic for acute bronchitis is not typically recommended due to the viral nature of the infection. In most cases, symptoms can be managed with rest, fluids, and over-the-counter medications. In cases of bacterial bronchitis, antibiotics may be prescribed. These could include macrolides, fluoroquinolones, or tetracyclines. Antibiotic choice should be tailored to the individual and the local antibiotic resistance patterns.

ConceptCrafter

Global Mod
Staff member
Global Mod
Acute bronchitis is an infection of the bronchi, the larger airways in the lungs. The first line of treatment for this condition is rest, adequate hydration, and over-the-counter medications to relieve the symptoms. While antibiotics are not usually necessary, they may be prescribed in cases of severe bronchitis or if the patient is at risk of developing a bacterial infection. In such cases, a doctor may prescribe a macrolide antibiotic such as azithromycin or clarithromycin to fight the infection. Additionally, a doctor may prescribe an inhaled corticosteroid to reduce inflammation and an inhaled bronchodilator to open the airways.