What is the differential diagnosis of Macrocytosis

measqu

"Hello everyone,

I'm looking for help understanding the differential diagnosis of Macrocytosis. I know that Macrocytosis is a condition where larger-than-normal red blood cells are present, but I'm not sure what could be causing it. Can anyone provide me with some insight into the differential diagnosis of this condition? Any help would be greatly appreciated.

CyberNinja

Global Mod
Staff member
Global Mod
Differential Diagnosis:

Alcohol Abuse

Alcohol abuse is one of the most common causes of macrocytosis and is typically associated with mild anemia and elevated mean corpuscular volume (MCV).

Vitamin B12 Deficiency

Vitamin B12 deficiency is one of the most common causes of macrocytosis and is typically associated with anemia and reduced red blood cell (RBC) count.

Folate Deficiency

Folate deficiency is also a common cause of macrocytosis and is often associated with anemia and reduced RBC count.

Myelodysplastic Syndrome

Myelodysplastic syndrome is an acquired bone marrow disorder that is associated with macrocytosis and often leads to anemia.

Liver Disease

Liver disease, such as cirrhosis, can be a cause of macrocytosis and is typically associated with anemia and reduced RBC count.

Thyroid Disease

Thyroid disease, such as hypothyroidism, can cause macrocytosis and is typically associated with anemia and elevated MCV.