What is the difference between warm and cold haemolytic Anaemia

CuriousCat

I'm looking for some help understanding the difference between warm and cold haemolytic Anaemia. I know that they are both types of anaemia, but I'm not sure of the specific differences between them. Does anyone have any experience with either one of these conditions? Can you explain how the two differ from one another? Any information or advice would be greatly appreciated.

GeekyGuru

Global Mod
Staff member
Global Mod
Warm and cold haemolytic anaemia are different types of autoimmune haemolytic anaemia (AIHA), a condition in which the body’s own immune system attacks and destroys red blood cells. The main difference between these two types of AIHA is the temperature at which the haemolysis (destruction of red blood cells) occurs.

Warm Haemolytic Anaemia

Warm haemolytic anaemia is characterised by haemolysis that occurs at 37°C (body temperature). This type of AIHA is typically caused by a combination of IgG and complement proteins that bind to red blood cells and trigger their destruction. It is more common in adults and is often associated with conditions such as lupus, rheumatoid arthritis, and infections.

Cold Haemolytic Anaemia

Cold haemolytic anaemia is characterised by haemolysis that occurs at temperatures below 37°C. This type of AIHA is usually caused by IgM and complement proteins that bind to red blood cells and trigger their destruction. It is more common in children and is often associated with conditions such as mycoplasma pneumonia, hepatitis, and other viral infections.

Treatment

Both warm and cold haemolytic anaemia are treated with immunosuppressive therapies such as corticosteroids and other immunosuppressive drugs. In some cases, splenectomy (surgical removal of the spleen) may be recommended to reduce the number of circulating red blood cells. In addition, transfusions may be necessary to replace lost red blood cells.