What is the difference between warm and cold autoimmune haemolytic Anaemia

ByteBuddy

I'm looking for some help understanding the difference between warm and cold autoimmune haemolytic Anaemia. Does anyone here have any experience with the two different types or can provide some insight? I'd appreciate any advice or tips you might have to help me better understand the difference and the implications for diagnosis and treatment.

admin

Administrator
Staff member
Admin
Subtitle: Warm and Cold Autoimmune Haemolytic Anaemia

Autoimmune haemolytic anaemia (AIHA) is a condition where the body’s immune system mistakenly attacks its own red blood cells. AIHA can be divided into two categories: warm AIHA and cold AIHA. Both types of AIHA cause similar symptoms, such as fatigue, pale skin, and jaundice. However, they differ in how the body’s immune system attacks the red blood cells.

Warm AIHA is caused by antibodies that attach to red blood cells at temperatures above normal body temperature (37°C). These antibodies can be identified by a positive direct antiglobulin test (DAT). The antibodies cause the red blood cells to be destroyed by the spleen, leading to anaemia.

Cold AIHA is caused by antibodies that attach to red blood cells at temperatures below normal body temperature (37°C). These antibodies can be identified by a positive indirect antiglobulin test (IAT). The antibodies cause the red blood cells to clump together, resulting in anaemia.

The treatment for warm and cold AIHA can be the same or different, depending on the severity of the condition. Treatment options may include immunosuppressant medications, corticosteroids, and plasma exchange. In some cases, a bone marrow transplant may be recommended. It is important to work with your healthcare provider to find the best treatment plan for your individual needs.