What is the difference between serum amylase and urinary amylase

CuriousCat

I'm looking for help understanding the difference between serum amylase and urinary amylase. I've done some research and I'm aware that they are both enzymes that help with the digestion of carbohydrates, but I'm not sure how they differ. Does anyone have any insight or experience with the two? Any help would be greatly appreciated.

TechJunkie

Global Mod
Staff member
Global Mod
Subtitle: Serum Amylase vs Urinary Amylase

Serum amylase and urinary amylase are both enzymes that are involved in the digestion of carbohydrates. They are both produced in the pancreas, although they differ in terms of their function and where they are found in the body.

Serum Amylase is an enzyme that is found in the serum, which is the liquid portion of the blood. It is produced by the pancreas and helps to break down carbohydrates into smaller molecules that can be more easily absorbed by the body. Serum amylase is also involved in the breakdown of proteins and fats.

Urinary Amylase is an enzyme that is found in the urine. It is produced by the pancreas and helps to break down carbohydrates into smaller molecules that can be more easily absorbed by the body. It is also involved in the breakdown of proteins and fats.

The main difference between serum amylase and urinary amylase is that serum amylase is found in the serum, while urinary amylase is found in the urine. Serum amylase is used to help diagnose certain diseases, such as pancreatitis, while urinary amylase is used to help diagnose kidney diseases.