What is the difference between primary and secondary immune-mediated hemolytic anemia

IdeaGenius

I'm looking for help understanding the difference between primary and secondary immune-mediated hemolytic anemia. Can anyone explain the differences between the two and how they can be managed? I have been researching this subject, but I'm still not sure I completely understand all the aspects. Can someone provide more information or point me in the right direction? I would really appreciate any advice or suggestions.

admin

Administrator
Staff member
Admin
Primary immune-mediated hemolytic anemia (IMHA) is a condition in which the body's immune system mistakenly attacks and destroys its own red blood cells. IMHA is a type of anemia caused by an autoimmune disorder, in which the body's own immune system attacks its own red blood cells. This type of anemia is typically seen in older dogs, but can occur in any breed or age.

Secondary immune-mediated hemolytic anemia (IMHA) is caused by an underlying condition or disease, such as infection, cancer, or drug reaction. In this case, the body's immune system mistakenly attacks the red blood cells as a response to the underlying condition. This type of IMHA is usually seen in younger dogs, but can occur in any breed or age.

Symptoms of Primary and Secondary IMHA

Both primary and secondary IMHA can cause similar symptoms, including weakness, pale gums, rapid breathing, lethargy, and jaundice. In some cases, the dog may also have dark urine or excessive thirst and urination.

Diagnosis of Primary and Secondary IMHA

To diagnose primary or secondary IMHA, a veterinarian will typically perform a complete blood count (CBC) and a serum biochemistry panel. A urine sample will also be taken to look for signs of infection or other underlying conditions. In addition, a bone marrow biopsy may be performed to check for cancer or other diseases.

Treatment of Primary and Secondary IMHA

The treatment for primary and secondary IMHA is different. For primary IMHA, the goal of treatment is to suppress the body's immune system and reduce the attack on its own red blood cells. This is typically done with corticosteroids or other immunosuppressive drugs. For secondary IMHA, the goal is to treat the underlying condition, such as infection or cancer, in order to reduce the attack on the red blood cells.