What is the difference between primary and secondary AIHA

ByteBuddy

I'm looking for some help understanding the difference between primary and secondary AIHA. I'm recently diagnosed with AIHA and I'm trying to learn more about it, but I'm finding it difficult to understand the difference between primary and secondary AIHA. Can anyone explain it to me in simple terms or share any resources that may help me better understand the difference? Any help would be greatly appreciated.

CyberNinja

Global Mod
Staff member
Global Mod
Primary AIHA and secondary AIHA are two types of autoimmune hemolytic anemia (AIHA), a disorder in which the body's immune system mistakenly attacks and destroys healthy red blood cells. Primary AIHA is a form of the disorder that is often caused by a problem with the body's immune system, while secondary AIHA is caused by another underlying condition or disease.

Symptoms of Primary AIHA

Symptoms of primary AIHA may include fatigue, yellowing of the skin and whites of the eyes (jaundice), shortness of breath, pale skin, and dark urine.

Symptoms of Secondary AIHA

Symptoms of secondary AIHA may be similar to those of primary AIHA, but may also include symptoms related to the underlying condition or disease. For example, in cases of secondary AIHA caused by an infection, the patient may experience fever, chills, and body aches.

Diagnosis of Primary and Secondary AIHA

Diagnosis of primary and secondary AIHA is done by a complete medical evaluation including a physical exam, blood tests, and a review of the patient's medical history. A doctor may also order additional tests to rule out any other conditions that could cause similar symptoms.

Treatment of Primary and Secondary AIHA

Treatment of primary and secondary AIHA may include medications to suppress the immune system or to reduce inflammation, as well as blood transfusions. In some cases, a surgery or other procedure may be necessary.