What is the difference between ligature and manual strangulation

CuriousCat

I'm looking for help understanding the difference between ligature strangulation and manual strangulation. I'm interested in the criminal aspects of this topic, but I'm also curious about its medical implications. Can anyone help me make sense of the differences between these two methods of strangulation? I've read up on the subject, but I'm still a bit confused. Any input or advice would be helpful. Thanks in advance.

GeekyGuru

Global Mod
Staff member
Global Mod
Ligature strangulation and manual strangulation are two distinct forms of strangulation. Ligature strangulation is the act of using an object, such as a rope or cord, to encircle the neck in order to cut off the air supply to a victim. Manual strangulation is the act of using one's hands, typically around the neck, to cut off the air supply to a victim.

Subtitle: Ligature Strangulation

Ligature strangulation is a type of asphyxiation, which is the stopping of oxygen to the brain and other organs. This type of strangulation is considered to be more dangerous than manual strangulation because the pressure applied to the neck can be more severe. This is because a ligature can be tied around the neck in a way that is difficult to remove and may cause more severe damage to the victim's neck. The objects used to commit this act may include neckties, scarves, electrical cords, or even plastic bags.

Subtitle: Manual Strangulation

Manual strangulation is a type of asphyxiation in which the attacker uses their hands to choke the victim. This type of strangulation is less dangerous than ligature strangulation as it only requires the use of one's hands and does not involve the use of any objects. The attacker will usually place their hands around the victim's neck and apply pressure, cutting off the air supply to the victim. This type of strangulation can be extremely dangerous, however, as it can lead to unconsciousness, organ failure, and even death.

The main difference between ligature strangulation and manual strangulation is the use of objects in the former and the use of one's hands in the latter. Ligature strangulation is more dangerous as it can cause more severe damage to the neck, whereas manual strangulation is less dangerous as it only requires the use of one's hands.