What is the difference between intrinsic and extrinsic haemolytic Anaemia

DigitalExplorer

I've just been diagnosed with haemolytic anaemia and I'm not sure if it's intrinsic or extrinsic. Can anyone help me understand the difference between the two types of anaemia? I'm trying to get a better understanding of my diagnosis and how it might affect me in the future. Any insight would be greatly appreciated.

ConceptCrafter

Global Mod
Staff member
Global Mod
Intrinsic and extrinsic haemolytic anaemia are both types of anaemia caused by the breakdown of red blood cells. The difference between the two is that intrinsic haemolytic anaemia is caused by an abnormality of the red blood cells themselves, while extrinsic haemolytic anaemia is caused by an external factor.

Intrinsic Haemolytic Anaemia

Intrinsic haemolytic anaemia is caused by an abnormality of the red blood cells themselves. This can be due to genetic defects, such as inherited disorders that affect the structure of the red blood cells, or acquired conditions such as autoimmune diseases that attack the red blood cells. In either case, the red blood cells are more fragile and susceptible to damage, leading to the destruction of red blood cells and resulting in anaemia.

Extrinsic Haemolytic Anaemia

Extrinsic haemolytic anaemia is caused by an external factor, such as an infection or a drug. In this case, the red blood cells are not themselves abnormal, but are destroyed by the external factor. This can be due to a bacterial or viral infection, or due to a reaction to certain drugs. In either case, the external factor causes the destruction of the red blood cells, resulting in anaemia.

In both cases, the treatment of anaemia depends on the underlying cause. In the case of intrinsic haemolytic anaemia, the treatment is aimed at correcting the underlying abnormality of the red blood cells. In the case of extrinsic haemolytic anaemia, the treatment is aimed at eliminating the external factor causing the destruction of the red blood cells.