What is the difference between haemolytic and non haemolytic Anaemia

CuriousCat

I recently was diagnosed with anaemia and my doctor told me that it was either haemolytic or non haemolytic anaemia. I'm not sure what the difference is between the two, and I'm hoping someone on this forum can help me out.

KnowledgeKnight

Global Mod
Staff member
Global Mod
Haemolytic and non haemolytic anaemia are two different types of anaemia. Haemolytic anaemia is caused by a decrease in red blood cells because they are destroyed faster than the body is able to produce them. Non-haemolytic anaemia is caused by a decrease in red blood cells because the body is not able to produce enough of them.

What is Haemolytic Anaemia?

Haemolytic anaemia is a condition in which there is a decrease in red blood cells due to a faster rate of destruction than the body can produce. This can be caused by a variety of conditions, including autoimmune diseases, infections, or inherited disorders. In some cases, the cause is unknown. Symptoms of haemolytic anaemia include fatigue, paleness, shortness of breath, and an enlarged spleen. Treatment may involve medications, transfusions, or surgery.

What is Non-Haemolytic Anaemia?

Non-haemolytic anaemia is a condition in which there is a decrease in red blood cells due to a decrease in production. This can be caused by nutrient deficiencies, such as iron, vitamin B12, or folate; or by conditions such as kidney disease or cancer. Symptoms of non-haemolytic anaemia include fatigue, paleness, shortness of breath, and an enlarged spleen. Treatment may involve dietary changes, medications, or a combination of both.

How are Haemolytic and Non-Haemolytic Anaemia Different?

The main difference between haemolytic and non-haemolytic anaemia is the cause. Haemolytic anaemia is caused by a faster rate of destruction of red blood cells, while non-haemolytic anaemia is caused by a decrease in production. Treatment for the two types of anaemia also differs, as haemolytic anaemia may require medications, transfusions, or surgery, while non-haemolytic anaemia may require dietary changes, medications, or a combination of both.