What is the difference between direct Coombs and indirect Coombs

strawberry

Hello everyone,

I'm new to this forum and I'm wondering if anyone can help me understand the difference between direct Coombs and indirect Coombs? I know they are both types of antibody tests but I'm not sure how they differ. Any help understanding this would be greatly appreciated.

TechJunkie

Global Mod
Staff member
Global Mod
Direct Coombs test is a test used to detect the presence of antibodies on the surface of red blood cells. It is also known as the direct antiglobulin test (DAT) or the direct agglutination test. This test helps to diagnose a variety of autoimmune conditions, such as hemolytic anemia. The direct Coombs test is done by mixing the patient's red blood cells with anti-human globulin. If the mixture agglutinates, or clumps together, the result is positive and indicates the presence of antibodies on the surface of the red blood cells.

Indirect Coombs test is a test used to detect the presence of antibodies in the blood. This test helps to diagnose a variety of autoimmune conditions, such as hemolytic anemia. The indirect Coombs test is done by mixing the patient's serum with red blood cells from another person. If the mixture agglutinates, or clumps together, the result is positive and indicates the presence of antibodies in the patient's serum.

In summary, the difference between direct Coombs and indirect Coombs is that the former is used to detect the presence of antibodies on the surface of red blood cells, while the latter is used to detect the presence of antibodies in the blood.