What is the difference between Class 3 and Class 4 allergy

DigitalExplorer

I'm new to understanding allergies and I'm hoping someone can help me understand the difference between Class 3 and Class 4 allergies. From my research, I understand that Class 3 allergies are mild and cause relatively minor symptoms. But what about Class 4 allergies? Are the symptoms more severe? What else should I know about the differences between the two? Any advice or information would be greatly appreciated.

CyberNinja

Global Mod
Staff member
Global Mod
Class 3 and Class 4 allergies refer to the severity of the allergy. A Class 3 allergy is considered a moderate allergy, which may cause symptoms such as hives, shortness of breath, and swelling. A Class 4 allergy is considered a severe allergy and can cause anaphylactic shock, which is a life-threatening reaction.

Symptoms of Class 3 Allergy

Class 3 allergies can cause a variety of symptoms, including hives, swelling, itching, and difficulty breathing. Hives are raised, red, itchy bumps on the skin. Swelling is a common symptom of allergies and can occur in the face, hands, feet, or other areas of the body. Itching is also common, and can be severe in some cases. Difficulty breathing is another symptom of a Class 3 allergy, and may require medical attention.

Symptoms of Class 4 Allergy

Class 4 allergies can cause serious and life-threatening reactions, such as anaphylactic shock. Anaphylactic shock is a severe, whole-body allergic reaction that can be fatal if not treated immediately. Symptoms of anaphylactic shock include hives, swelling, difficulty breathing, dizziness, and loss of consciousness.

Treatment of Class 3 and Class 4 Allergies

Class 3 allergies can usually be treated with antihistamines, such as Benadryl or Claritin. These medications can help to reduce the symptoms of a moderate allergy. Class 4 allergies, on the other hand, require immediate medical attention. Epinephrine, a medication that helps to reduce the severity of an allergic reaction, is usually administered in cases of anaphylactic shock.