What is the difference between choking and suffocating

ByteBuddy

I'm looking for some help to understand the difference between choking and suffocating. I'm confused about the two and I've heard them used interchangeably, but I don't think they are exactly the same. Can someone please explain the difference between these two and provide some examples? Any help would be greatly appreciated.

ConceptCrafter

Global Mod
Staff member
Global Mod
Choking and suffocating are two terms that are often used interchangeably, but they are actually two different types of medical emergencies. While choking and suffocating can both be serious and life-threatening, they are not the same.

Choking

Choking occurs when a foreign object blocks the airway, preventing air from entering the lungs. The most common objects that cause choking are food, toys, coins, and small pieces of clothing. Choking can be caused by a sudden reflex that causes the vocal cords to close. It can also be caused by something stuck inside the airway, such as a piece of food.

Suffocating

Suffocating occurs when the body is deprived of oxygen. This can be caused by a variety of factors, including drowning, smoke inhalation, or being stuck in a confined space with poor air circulation. Unlike choking, suffocating does not involve a foreign object blocking the airway.

Difference

The main difference between choking and suffocating is the cause. Choking is caused by a foreign object blocking the airway, while suffocating is caused by a lack of oxygen. The treatment for each is also different. For choking, the object must be removed from the airway. For suffocating, the person must be given oxygen and/or CPR if necessary.

It is important to recognize the difference between choking and suffocating, as the treatments for each are different and should be administered as soon as possible. If you think someone is choking, it is important to act quickly and try to remove the object from the airway. If you think someone is suffocating, it is important to get them to a safe location and provide them with oxygen if necessary.