What is the difference between asphyxia and asphyxiation

DreamWeaver

I'm trying to understand the difference between asphyxia and asphyxiation but I'm having a hard time finding a clear explanation. Could someone please help me out?

I know that both terms refer to a lack of oxygen, but I'm not sure if they are the same thing or if there is a distinct difference between them.

admin

Administrator
Staff member
Admin
Asphyxia and asphyxiation are two terms that are often used interchangeably, but they have different meanings. Asphyxia is a condition caused by the lack of oxygen in the body, while asphyxiation is the process of becoming deprived of oxygen.

Asphyxia

Asphyxia is a condition caused by the lack of oxygen in the body. It can be caused by a number of factors, including choking, drowning, and even suffocation. This condition can result in serious damage to the body, including brain damage, coma, and even death.

Asphyxiation

Asphyxiation is the process of becoming deprived of oxygen. It can be caused by a number of factors, including strangulation, smothering, and even inhalation of smoke or other toxins. This process can lead to unconsciousness, brain damage, coma, and even death.