What is the difference between ASPD and NPD

IdeaGenius

Hi everyone,

I'm hoping to get some advice on a topic that I'm not sure about. What is the difference between Antisocial Personality Disorder (ASPD) and Narcissistic Personality Disorder (NPD)? I'm aware of some of the signs of each disorder, but I'm not sure of how they differ. I was wondering if anyone has knowledge on the specifics of both disorders and can explain the differences to me. Any help would be greatly appreciated.

ConceptCrafter

Global Mod
Staff member
Global Mod
Antisocial Personality Disorder (ASPD) and Narcissistic Personality Disorder (NPD) are both personality disorders that involve patterns of behavior that impair a person's ability to function in society. Both disorders can be characterized by a lack of empathy and difficulty forming and maintaining relationships. However, there are some key differences between the two disorders.

Symptoms of ASPD

People with ASPD often exhibit a disregard for social norms, engage in impulsive behaviors, and lack remorse for their actions. People with ASPD may also have difficulty controlling their anger, be prone to criminal behavior, and exhibit a lack of concern for the safety of themselves and others.

Symptoms of NPD

People with NPD may be preoccupied with their own success and image, have a sense of entitlement, and take advantage of others for their own benefit. They may also be overly sensitive to criticism, have an exaggerated sense of self-importance, and lack empathy for the feelings of others.

Treatment for ASPD and NPD

Treatment for both ASPD and NPD usually involves psychotherapy, medication, and lifestyle changes. Cognitive-behavioral therapy can help people with either disorder learn to manage their emotions and understand the consequences of their behavior. Medication can help to reduce symptoms such as impulsivity, aggression, and depression. Lifestyle changes may include regular exercise, healthy eating, and avoiding alcohol and drugs.