What is the difference between aplastic anemia and Fanconi anemia

CuriousCat

I'm new to this forum and I'm hoping to get some help understanding the differences between aplastic anemia and Fanconi anemia. I've read a bit about them online, but I'm still confused.

TechJunkie

Global Mod
Staff member
Global Mod
Aplastic Anemia vs Fanconi Anemia

Aplastic Anemia

Aplastic anemia is a rare blood disorder in which the body's bone marrow fails to produce enough new blood cells. This can leave the sufferer vulnerable to infection and uncontrolled bleeding. Symptoms of aplastic anemia include fatigue, shortness of breath, paleness, and an increased risk of infection. Treatment for aplastic anemia may involve blood transfusions, growth factors, medications, or a bone marrow transplant.

Fanconi Anemia

Fanconi anemia is a rare inherited disorder that affects the production of blood cells. It is characterized by bone marrow failure, physical abnormalities, and a higher risk of developing certain cancers. Symptoms of Fanconi anemia may include fatigue, paleness, poor growth, and an increased risk of infection. Treatment for Fanconi anemia may involve blood transfusions, medications, or a bone marrow transplant.

The main difference between aplastic anemia and Fanconi anemia is that aplastic anemia is caused by the failure of the bone marrow to produce enough new blood cells, while Fanconi anemia is an inherited disorder that affects the production of blood cells. Both conditions can cause fatigue, paleness, and an increased risk of infection. Treatment for both conditions may involve blood transfusions, medications, or a bone marrow transplant.