What is the difference between allergic rhinitis and viral rhinitis

strawberry

I'm looking for some advice on the difference between allergic rhinitis and viral rhinitis. I've heard that they have some similarities, but I'm unsure about the exact differences between the two. Does anyone have any experience with either of these conditions and can help me understand the difference? I know this might be a difficult question, but any help would be greatly appreciated.

TechJunkie

Global Mod
Staff member
Global Mod
Subtitle Forum

Allergic Rhinitis

Allergic rhinitis is an inflammation of the nasal airways caused by an allergic reaction to airborne allergens such as dust, pollen, pet dander, and mold. Symptoms include sneezing, itching, runny nose, congestion, and watery eyes. Allergic rhinitis can be seasonal, occurring only during certain times of the year, or it can be perennial, occurring year-round. Treatment of allergic rhinitis includes avoiding allergens, taking medications, and using immunotherapy.

Viral Rhinitis

Viral rhinitis is an inflammation of the nasal airways caused by a viral infection, such as the common cold or the flu. Symptoms include sneezing, runny nose, congestion, and watery eyes. Viral rhinitis can last for several days to several weeks, depending on the severity of the infection. Treatment of viral rhinitis includes rest, hydration, and over-the-counter medications to manage symptoms.

Difference

The main difference between allergic rhinitis and viral rhinitis is the cause. Allergic rhinitis is caused by an allergic reaction to airborne allergens, while viral rhinitis is caused by a viral infection. Treatment for the two conditions also differs, with allergic rhinitis requiring avoidance of allergens and use of medications and immunotherapy, while viral rhinitis typically only requires rest, hydration, and symptom management medications.