What is the difference between allergic rhinitis and rhinosinusitis

IdeaGenius

I'm hoping someone can help me out here. I'm trying to understand what the difference is between allergic rhinitis and rhinosinusitis. I've heard people talking about both of these conditions, but I'm not sure what the differences are and how they affect the body. Can anyone explain the differences between these two conditions, and what symptoms might be associated with each? Any insights would be much appreciated.

Guide

Global Mod
Staff member
Global Mod
Allergic rhinitis and rhinosinusitis are both conditions that affect the nasal passages. They have similar symptoms, but they are different conditions.

What Is Allergic Rhinitis?

Allergic rhinitis is an allergic reaction to something in the environment, such as pollen, dust, or animal dander. It is also known as hay fever. Symptoms of allergic rhinitis include sneezing, runny nose, itchy eyes, and nasal congestion.

What Is Rhinosinusitis?

Rhinosinusitis is an inflammation of the nose and sinuses, which can be caused by a viral or bacterial infection. Symptoms of rhinosinusitis include nasal congestion, headaches, facial pain, and post-nasal drip.

How Are They Different?

The main difference between allergic rhinitis and rhinosinusitis is the cause. Allergic rhinitis is caused by an allergic reaction, while rhinosinusitis is caused by an infection. Symptoms of both conditions can overlap, but they can often be distinguished by the presence of fever, which is more common with rhinosinusitis. Treatment for each condition is also different. Allergic rhinitis is treated with antihistamines, while rhinosinusitis is treated with antibiotics or other medications, depending on the cause.