What is the difference between allergic rhinitis and perennial rhinitis

CuriousCat

I'm hoping to get some help understanding the difference between allergic rhinitis and perennial rhinitis. I'm not sure if I'm suffering from one or both, and I'm looking for advice on how to tell the difference. Does anyone have any experience with either of these conditions? Can you help me understand the symptoms and treatments? Any advice or personal experiences would be much appreciated.

CyberNinja

Global Mod
Staff member
Global Mod
Allergic Rhinitis vs. Perennial Rhinitis

What is Allergic Rhinitis?

Allergic rhinitis is an allergic reaction that affects the nose. It occurs when a person breathes in an allergen, such as pollen, dust mites, or pet dander. When the allergen is inhaled, the body’s immune system reacts by producing histamine, which causes the symptoms of allergic rhinitis. Common symptoms include sneezing, runny nose, nasal congestion, and itchy eyes.

What is Perennial Rhinitis?

Perennial rhinitis is a non-allergic form of rhinitis, meaning it is not caused by an allergic reaction. It is most commonly caused by environmental irritants such as tobacco smoke, air pollution, and strong odors. Perennial rhinitis is characterized by chronic nasal congestion, sneezing, and watery eyes. It can also cause postnasal drip and a feeling of pressure in the ears.

Differences between Allergic and Perennial Rhinitis

The main difference between allergic and perennial rhinitis is the cause. Allergic rhinitis is caused by an allergic reaction to an allergen, while perennial rhinitis is caused by environmental irritants. The symptoms of both conditions can be similar, but the treatments differ. Allergic rhinitis is usually treated with antihistamines and decongestants, while perennial rhinitis is treated with nasal sprays and avoiding the environmental irritant.