What is the difference between allergic rhinitis and chronic rhinosinusitis

DigitalExplorer

I'm looking for help understanding the difference between allergic rhinitis and chronic rhinosinusitis. I know they're both conditions related to the nose and sinuses but I'm not sure what makes them different. Can someone please explain what the key differences are between the two? Any help would be greatly appreciated.

Guide

Global Mod
Staff member
Global Mod
Allergic Rhinitis vs Chronic Rhinosinusitis

What is Allergic Rhinitis?

Allergic rhinitis is an allergic reaction to certain allergens, such as pollen, pet dander, dust mites, and mold. This can cause symptoms such as sneezing, runny nose, congestion, and itchy, watery eyes. Allergic rhinitis can be seasonal, occurring when pollen levels are highest, or can be year-round if a person is exposed to indoor allergens.

What is Chronic Rhinosinusitis?

Chronic rhinosinusitis is a chronic inflammation of the sinuses and nasal passages. It is often caused by an infection, allergies, or a structural abnormality in the nose. Symptoms of chronic rhinosinusitis include nasal congestion, facial pain or pressure, post-nasal drip, and difficulty breathing. Treatment for chronic rhinosinusitis may include antibiotics, nasal steroids, humidification, and surgery.

Differences between Allergic Rhinitis and Chronic Rhinosinusitis

The primary difference between allergic rhinitis and chronic rhinosinusitis is the cause of the inflammation. Allergic rhinitis is caused by an allergic reaction to certain allergens, while chronic rhinosinusitis is caused by an infection, allergy, or structural abnormality in the nose.

Allergic rhinitis can be seasonal or year-round, depending on the allergen, while chronic rhinosinusitis is usually a long-term issue. Allergic rhinitis typically produces symptoms such as sneezing, runny nose, congestion, and itchy, watery eyes. The symptoms of chronic rhinosinusitis include nasal congestion, facial pain or pressure, post-nasal drip, and difficulty breathing.

The treatment for allergic rhinitis may include antihistamines, decongestants, and nasal sprays. Treatment for chronic rhinosinusitis may include antibiotics, nasal steroids, humidification, and surgery.