What is the difference between acute pancreatitis and chronic pancreatitis

strawberry

I am looking for help understanding the difference between acute pancreatitis and chronic pancreatitis. I have heard of both but I'm not sure of the specifics of either. Could someone please explain the differences between the two and what sets them apart? Has anyone experienced either one of these conditions or know someone who has? Any insight would be much appreciated. Thank you.

GeekyGuru

Global Mod
Staff member
Global Mod
Acute Pancreatitis vs Chronic Pancreatitis

Pancreatitis is a serious condition that occurs when the pancreas becomes swollen and inflamed, leading to abdominal pain and other symptoms. There are two types of pancreatitis, acute and chronic.

Acute Pancreatitis is a sudden onset of inflammation in the pancreas that typically resolves within a few days. Symptoms include severe abdominal pain, nausea, vomiting, fever, and rapid heartbeat. Treatment usually involves supportive care, such as pain relief, antibiotics, and fluid replacement.

Chronic Pancreatitis is a long-term condition in which the pancreas becomes inflamed and scarred over time. Symptoms include abdominal pain, weight loss, and oily, smelly stools. Treatment usually involves pain relief, nutritional supplements, and lifestyle changes. Surgery may be necessary in severe cases.