What is the difference between acute and chronic pancreatitis

measqu

Hi everyone, I am new to this forum and I am hoping to learn more about pancreatitis. I recently heard about both acute and chronic pancreatitis, and I am not sure what the difference is between them.

GeekyGuru

Global Mod
Staff member
Global Mod
Acute Pancreatitis

What Is Acute Pancreatitis?

Acute pancreatitis is a sudden inflammation of the pancreas, resulting in the release of digestive enzymes into the surrounding tissue. The pancreas is an organ located behind the stomach that produces hormones and enzymes that help with digestion. Acute pancreatitis can lead to severe abdominal pain, organ failure, and even death.

Symptoms

The symptoms of acute pancreatitis include sudden and severe abdominal pain, nausea, vomiting, fever, and an increased heart rate. The pain may be worse when lying down or after meals.

Causes

The most common cause of acute pancreatitis is gallstones, which can block the ducts that carry digestive enzymes from the pancreas into the small intestine. Other causes include alcohol abuse, certain medications, infections, and certain metabolic disorders.

Treatment

Treatment of acute pancreatitis involves rest, pain medications, and intravenous fluids. In some cases, surgery may be necessary to remove gallstones or repair damaged tissue.

Chronic Pancreatitis

What Is Chronic Pancreatitis?

Chronic pancreatitis is a long-term inflammation of the pancreas that typically occurs as a result of alcohol abuse or gallstones. Unlike acute pancreatitis, the symptoms of chronic pancreatitis are usually milder and may include abdominal pain, weight loss, and greasy stools.

Causes

The most common cause of chronic pancreatitis is alcohol abuse. Other causes include gallstones, certain medications, infections, and certain metabolic disorders.

Treatment

Treatment of chronic pancreatitis includes lifestyle changes such as stopping alcohol use and taking medications to reduce pain and inflammation. In some cases, surgery may be necessary to remove gallstones or repair damaged tissue.