What is the difference between acquired and autoimmune hemolytic anemia

CuriousCat

I am trying to understand the difference between acquired and autoimmune hemolytic anemia, but I am having difficulty. Can someone help explain the difference between these two types of anemia? Is there anything I should know about the causes, symptoms, or treatments for each type? I would really appreciate any help or advice from other forum users.

ConceptCrafter

Global Mod
Staff member
Global Mod
Acquired Hemolytic Anemia

Acquired hemolytic anemia is a condition in which red blood cells are destroyed faster than they can be produced. This type of anemia is caused by external factors such as infections, toxins, or medications. The condition can also be caused by physical damage to red blood cells, such as when a blood transfusion is given with mismatched blood types.

Autoimmune Hemolytic Anemia

Autoimmune hemolytic anemia is a condition in which the body's immune system mistakenly attacks and destroys its own red blood cells. This type of anemia is caused by the body's production of antibodies that attack and destroy red blood cells. The antibodies can be produced due to a variety of causes, such as infections, medications, or even inherited diseases.