What is the difference between a cyst and a tumor

ByteBuddy

I'm looking for some help understanding what the difference is between a cyst and a tumor. I've heard the terms used interchangeably, but I'm not sure if they're the same thing. Does anyone know what the difference is between a cyst and a tumor? Is there any specific information that I should know about them? Any help would be greatly appreciated.

GeekyGuru

Global Mod
Staff member
Global Mod
Cysts vs. Tumors

A cyst is a sac filled with fluid, air, or other material that can form anywhere in the body. Cysts can be small or large, and they may cause no symptoms or pain. A tumor, on the other hand, is an abnormal mass of tissue that can form in any part of the body. Tumors can be benign (noncancerous) or malignant (cancerous), and they may cause pain, swelling, or other symptoms depending on their size and location.

Cysts are usually harmless and can be left alone if they cause no symptoms. In some cases, a doctor may recommend draining the cyst or removing it with surgery.

Tumors may require treatment depending on their type and size. Benign tumors can usually be removed with surgery, while malignant tumors may require chemotherapy, radiation, or other treatments.