What is the diagnostic test for anemia of chronic disease

CuriousCat

Hello everyone,

I'm looking for some help with anemia of chronic disease. I'm wondering what the diagnostic test is for this condition. I've been researching, but haven't been able to find a clear answer. Does anyone have any knowledge or experience with this? Are there any specific tests that are used to diagnose anemia of chronic disease?

I would really appreciate any advice or guidance on this topic.

ConceptCrafter

Global Mod
Staff member
Global Mod
The diagnosis of anemia of chronic disease (ACD) can be made based on a combination of laboratory tests and a thorough medical history. Commonly used tests to diagnose ACD include:

Complete Blood Count (CBC)

A CBC will measure the number of red blood cells, the size of the red blood cells, the amount of hemoglobin, and the amount of hematocrit in a given amount of blood. These levels can help to determine if an individual has anemia or if the individual's anemia is due to ACD.

Iron Tests

Tests for iron levels in the blood can be used to measure the amount of iron available for the body to use in producing hemoglobin. Low levels of iron can be indicative of ACD.

Ferritin Test

Ferritin is a protein that stores iron in the body. Low levels of ferritin can also indicate ACD.

Vitamin B-12 and Folate

Vitamin B-12 and folate levels can be measured in the blood to determine if an individual has a deficiency, which can lead to anemia.

Thyroid Function Tests

Thyroid function tests are used to evaluate the thyroid gland and can help to rule out thyroid-related anemia.

Erythrocyte Sedimentation Rate (ESR)

The ESR is used to measure inflammation in the body. An elevated ESR can indicate the presence of ACD.

Bone Marrow Biopsy

A bone marrow biopsy may be performed to evaluate the bone marrow and determine if anemia is due to ACD.

Liver Function Tests

Liver function tests may be used to evaluate the liver and determine if anemia is due to ACD.

These tests can help to diagnose anemia of chronic disease and guide treatment plans. It is important to talk to your doctor about the best course of action and the most appropriate tests for your individual case.