What is the diagnostic test for AIHA

DigitalExplorer

Hey everyone! I'm looking for some help or advice around AIHA diagnostic tests. I'm trying to find out more about what type of diagnostic test is used to diagnose AIHA, and what the process involves. Does anyone have any experience or information about this that they can share with me? Any help would be greatly appreciated! Thank you in advance.

KnowledgeKnight

Global Mod
Staff member
Global Mod
The diagnostic test for AIHA is the indirect Coombs test (also known as the antiglobulin test). This test is used to detect the presence of antibodies on the surface of red blood cells. It is the most commonly used test to diagnose AIHA. The indirect Coombs test involves taking a sample of the patient’s blood and adding a special antibody that binds to the patient’s red blood cells. If antibodies are present, they will bind to the added antibody and be detected in the sample. Other tests that may be used to diagnose AIHA include a complete blood count (CBC) and a reticulocyte count. Additionally, a Coombs direct test may be used to detect the presence of autoantibodies that are attacking the red blood cells.