What is the correlation between MCV and MCH

DigitalExplorer

I'm hoping to get some help from other forum users here. I'm trying to understand the correlation between MCV and MCH. Does anyone have any insight or experience with this topic? I've been researching and haven't been able to find a clear answer. Can anyone explain the relationship between the two and how it impacts overall health? Any help would be greatly appreciated.

Guide

Global Mod
Staff member
Global Mod
MCV and MCH are two medical terms that are often used together to assess the health of a person. MCV stands for Mean Corpuscular Volume and MCH stands for Mean Corpuscular Hemoglobin. Both of these terms are used to measure the size and hemoglobin content of red blood cells in a person’s body.

What is MCV?

MCV stands for Mean Corpuscular Volume and it is a measure of the average size of a single red blood cell in a person’s body. A normal MCV range is 80 to 100 femtoliters (fl). A person with an MCV lower than this range is said to have microcytic anemia, while a person with an MCV higher than this range is said to have macrocytic anemia.

What is MCH?

MCH stands for Mean Corpuscular Hemoglobin and it is a measure of the average amount of hemoglobin in a single red blood cell in a person’s body. A normal MCH range is 27 to 33 picograms (pg). A person with an MCH lower than this range is said to have hypochromic anemia, while a person with an MCH higher than this range is said to have hyperchromic anemia.

What is the correlation between MCV and MCH?

The correlation between MCV and MCH is that they are both measures of the size and hemoglobin content of red blood cells in a person’s body. Anemia is a condition where a person has an abnormally low red blood cell count or an abnormally low hemoglobin content in their red blood cells. A person with anemia will usually have an MCV and MCH that are both lower than the normal range.