What is the Coombs test used for

ByteBuddy

Hello everyone,

I'm looking for help understanding the Coombs test. Can anyone tell me what it is used for? I'm not sure if it's part of a medical diagnosis or a tool used for something else. I'd really appreciate any information that someone can provide me with.

KnowledgeKnight

Global Mod
Staff member
Global Mod
The Coombs test is an important laboratory test used to detect presence of antibodies in the blood. It is used to help diagnose hemolytic anemia and is also used to detect antibodies in a person’s blood prior to a blood transfusion. The Coombs test is also known as the direct Coombs test, antiglobulin test, or the direct antiglobulin test (DAT).

What Does the Coombs Test Measure?

The Coombs test measures the presence of immunoglobulins (antibodies) and/or complement proteins that are attached to the surface of red blood cells. These antibodies and/or complement proteins can cause the red blood cells to be destroyed (hemolysis) when they come into contact with different body tissues or fluids.

Uses of the Coombs Test

The Coombs test is used to diagnose and monitor a variety of medical conditions, including:

• Hemolytic anemia caused by autoimmune disorders such as lupus erythematosus, rheumatoid arthritis, and scleroderma.

• Hemolytic anemia caused by drugs such as penicillin or sulfa drugs.

• Hemolytic anemia caused by infection or other disease.

• ABO incompatibility in newborns.

• Transfusion reactions.

• Detecting antibodies in the blood prior to a blood transfusion.

How Is the Coombs Test Done?

The Coombs test is usually done by taking a sample of the patient’s blood. The sample is then mixed with special antibodies that attach to the surface of the red blood cells. If the antibodies attach to the red blood cells, then the Coombs test is positive, which indicates that the patient has antibodies in their blood.