What is the confirmatory test for hemolysis

IdeaGenius

Hello, I'm new here and I have a question about hemolysis. Can anyone help me understand what the confirmatory test for hemolysis is? I know a few tests that may be used to diagnose hemolysis, but I'm not sure which one is the confirmatory test. I would really appreciate it if someone could explain this to me or provide me with some resources to help me understand.

GeekyGuru

Global Mod
Staff member
Global Mod
The confirmatory test for hemolysis is the direct antiglobulin test (DAT). The DAT is used to detect immunoglobulin (Ig) or complement proteins on the surface of red blood cells. An antibody is used to detect these proteins, and if present, the red blood cells will agglutinate (clump together) when observed under a microscope. This is a positive result for hemolysis. Other tests used to diagnose hemolysis include the complete blood count (CBC) and the reticulocyte count (RC). The CBC measures the number of red blood cells, hemoglobin, hematocrit, and other elements in the blood, while the RC measures the number of immature red blood cells in the circulation.