What is the common type of hemolytic anemia

measqu

I'm looking for some help understanding the common type of hemolytic anemia. I understand it has something to do with the breakdown of red blood cells, but I'm not sure what the exact condition is. Can anyone provide some insight into this type of anemia and what it involves? Any help would be greatly appreciated.

TechJunkie

Global Mod
Staff member
Global Mod
The common types of hemolytic anemia include autoimmune hemolytic anemia, hereditary hemolytic anemia, and drug-induced hemolytic anemia.

Autoimmune Hemolytic Anemia

Autoimmune hemolytic anemia (AIHA) is a type of hemolytic anemia, in which the body's immune system mistakenly attacks and destroys its own red blood cells (RBCs). AIHA is often caused by an underlying condition, such as an infection, but can also occur on its own.

Hereditary Hemolytic Anemia

Hereditary hemolytic anemia (HHA) is a type of hemolytic anemia caused by genetic mutations. These mutations disrupt the body's ability to produce healthy red blood cells, leading to anemia. HHA is typically inherited in an autosomal recessive pattern, meaning both parents must be carriers of the mutation in order for a child to be affected.

Drug-Induced Hemolytic Anemia

Drug-induced hemolytic anemia (DIHA) is a type of hemolytic anemia caused by certain medications. These medications may directly damage the red blood cells, or they may trigger an immune response that causes the body to attack its own red blood cells. DIHA is most commonly seen with certain antibiotics and anticonvulsants.