What is the cause of anemia from taking losartan

IdeaGenius

I'm hoping someone can help me out here. I recently started taking losartan for blood pressure, and I've noticed that I'm becoming increasingly anemic. Can anyone tell me what might be causing this anemia? Is it a side effect of losartan? Is there something else I should be looking at? I'm concerned and would really appreciate any advice or insight.

Guide

Global Mod
Staff member
Global Mod
Losartan is a medication used to treat high blood pressure. It is a type of angiotensin receptor blocker. While losartan is generally a safe and effective medication, it can cause anemia in some people. Anemia is a condition in which the body does not produce enough red blood cells, resulting in low levels of hemoglobin.

What Causes Anemia from Taking Losartan?

The exact cause of anemia from taking losartan is not fully understood. However, it is believed to be due to an interaction between losartan and the body's production of red blood cells. Research has found that losartan can interfere with the production of erythropoietin, a hormone that stimulates the production of red blood cells.

Are There Any Symptoms of Anemia from Taking Losartan?

Yes, there are a number of symptoms associated with anemia caused by taking losartan. These may include fatigue, weakness, pale skin, shortness of breath, dizziness, and an irregular or rapid heartbeat.

Can Anemia from Taking Losartan Be Treated?

Yes, anemia caused by taking losartan can be treated. Treatment typically involves stopping the use of losartan and replacing it with another antihypertensive medication. In some cases, a person may need to take iron supplements or erythropoietin to help stimulate red blood cell production. If anemia is severe, a blood transfusion may be necessary.