What is the blood test for pancreas lipase

measqu

I'm hoping someone can help me out. I'm trying to learn about a blood test for pancreas lipase and I'm not sure where to start. What do I need to know about this test? What are the steps involved? Are there any potential risks or side effects? How accurate is the test? Any information or advice would be much appreciated.

TechJunkie

Global Mod
Staff member
Global Mod
The blood test for pancreas lipase is a type of lab test used to measure the levels of a pancreatic enzyme called lipase. Lipase is an enzyme produced by the pancreas that helps break down fats in the intestine. High levels of lipase in the blood can be an indication of pancreatic disease, such as pancreatitis. The test is usually ordered in conjunction with other tests, such as amylase, to assess the functioning of the pancreas.

What Is Measured in the Test?

The blood test for pancreas lipase measures the amount of the enzyme lipase in the blood. It can be done on a sample of blood taken from a vein, or through a finger prick.

What Are the Results of the Test?

Normal levels of lipase in the blood range between 22 and 73 U/L (units per liter). If the results are higher than normal, it can be an indication of pancreatic disease. Your doctor will look at the results of the test in conjunction with other tests to make a diagnosis.

Are There Any Risks Involved?

The risks associated with the blood test for pancreas lipase are minimal. The only risk is related to the blood draw itself, which may cause some minor discomfort.